Monday 27 May 2019

After 5 MacBook 'Butterfly' Keyboards: My Verdict (12-Inch MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air)

I've had five Apple "butterfly" keyboards.
Let's see, two 12-inch Retina MacBooks: first*- and second-generations, a 15-inch MacBook Pro (mid-2017), a 13-inch MacBook Pro (mid-2017), and 2018 Retina MacBook Air.
So, in short, I've used every generation of butterfly keyboard on five different MacBooks save the very latest on the updated 2019 MacBook Pro announced May 21.
tl;dr: I've never had the problem described widely in the media (e.g., keys that aren't responsive or failure in general) with any of the Butterfly keyboards on the MacBooks listed above.
I used all of the MacBooks above extensively but I submitted the first-gen 12-inch MacBook and mid-2017 15-inch MacBook Pro to special abuse, i.e., hauling them around the country, using them on planes/at airports, in coffee shops/restaurants, in the car, in the mountains/desert etc.
Plenty of opportunity for dust, dirt, mud, food, liquid to break the Butterfly mechanism or render the keyboard unusable. Maybe I just got lucky. Or maybe there are other people like me out there that haven't had a problem.
The obvious disclaimer is, I'm not saying that MacBook owners haven't had issues with the Butterfly keyboard. AppleInsider said it "found out in April 2018 the failure rates were double that of previous mechanisms."
I'm just saying I've been using the butterfly keyboards since the very beginning and not had issues. So it shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if you're considering a new MacBook.
Finally, I will say that I typically clean my laptop keyboard every few days. Nothing major -- takes two minutes. With a vacuum, I gently suck out (or blow it out if I don't have access to the vacuum) all of the dust, dirt, food, or whatever has landed in the keyboard over the course of a few days. And then clean it with a special cloth. More tips here.
----
*The 2015 first-gen 12-inch MacBook was the first keyboard with a Butterfly mechanism from Apple. All new MacBooks now come with keyboards with the butterfly mechanism.

0 comments:

Post a Comment